Instead of going into Council Head Office at 20 Thames Street for enquiries and Council services, you can pop into Ōamaru Library at 62 Thames Street during the week or on a Saturday morning.
This page is dedicated to the memory of those persons buried in OAMARU OLD CEMETERY GENERAL GROUND 1872 - 1953
Between 1866 and 1959, Oamaru cemetery was managed by the Oamaru Cemetery Trust.
This cemetery, which subsequently has come to be known as the Oamaru Old Cemetery, was divided into blocks according to religious affiliation.
General ground was set aside for those who, for whatever reason, were not buried in one of these blocks.
The first burial in this ground was in 1872, the last in 1953.
During the 1950's, and prior to the administration of the Old Cemetery being transferred to the Oamaru Borough Council, the General Ground was levelled, grassed and re-allocated for new burial blocks.
Those who had their grave sites disturbed in this process are hereby remembered on this memorial page.